The Tsuglagkhang Temple is the most renowned Buddhist monument in McLeodganj. There are three magnificent images of Buddha, including a gilded statue of Shakyamuni, statues of Valokitesvara and Padamasambhava.Around the temple hill there is a long meditation trail â€” LingKhor â€” with small shrines, stupas, and a massive chorten. The shrines near the chorten are always covered in thousands of prayer flags placed by devotees.The temple is located a short walk down the hill from the main square at the centre of town.
Masroor Temple in Kangra is believed to have been built by the Pandava brothers, of the Hindu epic the Mahabharata. It is a group of 15 monolithic rock-cut temples.The temple is located on a hill, and has a pond within its grounds. A view of the snow-clad Dhauladhars is seen from the temple during the winter season.The main shrine consists of the idols of Rama, Lakshmana, and Sita. The temple also has carvings of Buddha.Masroor is about 50 km from McLeod Ganj. Driving will take about one-and-a-half hour.
Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium:
HPCA Stadium in Dharamshala was opened in 2003. It has a capacity of about 25,000 seats. The venue holds Ranji Trophy and IPL matches.HPCA Stadium in Dharamshala was opened in 2003. It has a capacity of about 25,000 seats. The venue holds Ranji Trophy and IPL matches.By virtue of its natural backdrop, it is one of the most attractive cricket stadiums in India. In addition to Ranji matches, some international matches are also planned to be held here.
Beside Tsug la Khang is the small but interesting Tibet Museum, telling the history of Tibet and its people.Tibet museum has the credit of being the first modern Museum in Dharamsala. The Museum is settled in a huge plinth area with separate places for meeting, exhibitions and displays. The Museum is a real example of original Tibetan architectural style blended with modern style of constructions. The visitors in the museum are amazed with the cultural and artistic excellence of Tibetan people.
The Norbulingka Institute is located about 15 km from McLeod Ganj and is well worth the effort to get there by taxi or local bus.Developed by the Dalai Lama as a center for the continuation and training of traditional Tibetan arts and crafts, the ground alone are testament to Tibetan architectural and artistic skill. A number of buildings, all ornately decorated, cover several acres complete with a koi pond, bridges and gardens.
Dal Lake is a small mid-altitude lake (1,775 m above sea level) near a very beautiful â€œTota Raniâ€. The lake is surrounded by deodar trees.It is considered a sacred spot, and there is small Shiva mandir (shrine) on its bank. A fair and festival dedicated to Shiva is held yearly. Several kinds of fish live in the lake, which has greenish water most of the year.The annual fair held every year in September on the banks of the Lake is a great attraction to the tourists.
Triund is a 9,000-foot ridge behind the Dhauladhar range, and is the goal of a popular nine-kilometre trek for a day or overnight stay. Food is available at tea shops on the way and at the top.But it is always safer to carry oneâ€™s own food and drink, just in case you reach there to find the tea shops closed. There is a Forest Rest House atop the ridge, which can be booked through Himachal Tourist Office in Kotwali Bazaar.
Library of Tibetan Works and Archives:
LTWA is located within Gangchen Kyishong, the administrative centre of the Central Tibetan Administration, along with temporary refugee housing, political and social work offices.The ornate building houses the literary treasures of Tibet and has an ongoing exhibition on Tibetan history. While only scholars may access the libraryâ€™s closed shelves, regular visitors are welcome to visit the open stacks with reference books, take classes, and ask questions of the helpful staff.
Tushita Meditation Centre:
Tushita Meditation Centre provides for the study and practice of the Tibetan Mahayana tradition of Buddhism.Tushita was established in 1972 by Lama Thubten Yeshe, a highly qualified Tibetan Buddhist teacher. Since Lama Yesheâ€™s passing away in 1984, his main student Lama Zopa Rinpoche has been the spiritual director of Tushita and the FPMT (Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana Tradition).
Tibetan Institute for the Performing Arts (TIPA):
TIPA trains Tibetans in Tibetan opera, folk dance, and music.Performances are held from time to time within the TIPA premises. But even when there is a hiatus in performances, you can watch the students rehearsing.TIPA is one of the oldest Tibetan institutions, founded by the Dalai Lama in August 1959, and started in Conium Cottage in 1960.
Bhagsunath Temple is a medieval temple 3km east of Mcleodganj (the seat of the Tibetan government-in-exile, and the residence of the spiritual head, His Holiness the Dalai Lama) and 11km from Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh. The ambience of the temple is tranquil and reposed, with plentiful pools around, considered sacred by the Hindu devotees. The annual fair held in September is far-reaching in its reputation. The Dal Lake, Kotwai Bazaar and Bhagsu Waterfall are the attractions in the vicinity of the Bhagsunath Temple.
During monsoon the Bhagsu Waterfall turns into a 30-foot cascade. It is a good spot for picnics and recreation.Bhagsu is a serene located very close by to the Mcleodganj city center. It has been the main attraction for all tourists who visit the cool hearty tourist location of Mcleodganj. It has breathtaking waterfall known as Bhagsu falls, mind calming ancient Bhagsunath Temple and a perfectly nature blended community pool.
Dip Tse Chok Ling Monastery:
The Dip Tse Chok Ling Monastery sits on a steep hillside overlooking the valley. It has a small main temple housing an impressive statue.Monks in residence here can talk with you and answer questions you may have. The monastery also has a guest house for visitors, and a trail that will lead you through the woods to the Dalai Lamaâ€™s temple complex.
St John's Church in the Wilderness:
This small, neo-Gothic style Anglican church, dedicated to John the Baptist, was built in 1852. The church is known for its Belgian stained-glass windows painted by an Italian artist.The church is situated in a deodar grove, and there is a small graveyard on the grounds. Behind the church is the final resting place of Lord Elgin, who was Governor-General & Viceroy of India in 1861 during the British Raj, and died in McLeod Ganj on 20 November 1863.
Tibetan Children's Village (TCV):
TCV is an entire community as well as school for the care and education of orphans and refugee children from Tibet. Many refugee children arrive in McLeod Ganj without their parents.The Tibetan Childrenâ€™s Village is where they live and study. Also studying at TCV are other Tibetan children whose Indian-resident parents send them to TCV to receive a Tibetan education.
Kangra Art Museum:
The Kangra Art Museum is a treasure trove of the arts, crafts, and rich past of the Kangra valley. It displays artifacts that date back to the 5th Century CE.It includes a library, a gallery of famous paintings, and a collection of sculptures, pottery, and anthropological items. Shamiyanas and local dresses used by local royalty, old carved doors, jail and pandals are also on display.
Nowrojee and Sons General Store:
This is one of the original businesses of McLeod Ganj. It was set up in 1860 by a Parsi business family, the Nowrojees, and run since then for five generations.The Nowrojee building was one of the few in McLeod to withstand the Kangra earthquake of 1905. It retains the original wooden structure characteristic of all buildings of its time, but now rare to see in the area. The shop was a major supplier for the British occupiers in the area, and now sells only newspapers, magazines and candies
This Buddhist stupa is a memorial to those Tibetans who lost their lives fighting for a free Tibet.Founded by the Third Dalai Lama 'Sonam Gyatso' in 1575, the Namgyal Monastery is a tantric college that performs rituals for his Holiness. Located next to the Central Cathedral in McLeod Ganj, the monastery is a home to more than 180 monks, who perform prayers and rituals of all the major schools of Tibetan Buddhism.
Tibetan Medical and Astro Institute (TMAI):
Men-Tsee-Khang in Tibetan, provides traditional Tibetan medicine and medical treatments.It has more than 50 students every year who study traditional Tibetan medicine, and also has a pharmacy, an in-patient unit, and a surgical centre. The institute also does research and development on thousands of medical compounds. They even distribute traditional Tibetan medicines to medical facilities all over the world. The Institute was established in 1961.